Italy Road Bike Tour
Bike in Italy along the beautiful Adriatic Coast!!
This Riccione bike tour takes you along the breathtaking coast of the Adriatic. It was here in the hills of this Eastern part of Emilia Romagna that Marco Pantani, the great legend, prepared for his wins in the Tour de France and the Giro Libero. We have chosen this excellent bike hotel for you to be able to go out on your own (with route descriptions) or join a group of your level to train in the mountains. If you have a traveling partner who's not a biker, there are plenty of other things to do. The hotel offers Nordic Walking poles, a cooking lesson or what about a day trip to Ancona, Bologna or the UNESCO World Heritage town of Ferrara.
Riccione cycling is a bikers dream, which is why we have also added "Villages and Castles" for the biker who wants to get know the land and people, and of course to discover the pleasures of the local gastronomy in great company. You will have the opportunity to fully enjoy all the delights here cycling in Italy.
Make sure you take a look at our other Italy bike tours!
Where You’ll Stay
The comfortable, modern Hotel Dory.
- Magic Formula
- Super half board: (Breakfast buffet, lunch Buffet from 2 - 4 pm, dinner buffet
- Water, wine, beer, soft drinks with dinner
- Every Monday, Barbecue in the country house with wine and desserts
- Sandwiches, bananas, water during rides
- Admission to the Steven Sporting Fitness Club
- Admission to the Aqua Wellness Area
- Transfer service from Forli, Ancona, Bologna and Rimini airports and railway station (8am to 10 pm)
- 15 touring cycles available for around town
- Immediate breakdown and bike recovery service in case of falls or accidents
- One €20 token to be spent at the cyclists’ market
- Guided excursions
- One wine, cheese and oil tasting event on the farm
- Welcome drink, presentation of routes
- Laundry service for biking gear and shoe dryer
- 20 detailed cycling routes
- Internet point and wireless connection
- Style formula
- Includes all of the above, plus:
- Draft beer, sodas and hot drinks, all you can drink all day
- All beverages from the mini bar
- Complimentary T Shirt
- Admission to Riccione Swimming Municipal Pool
- Additional bike services for those bringing their own bikes
- Special services for cyclists:
- Road service during the more demanding rides
- Expert Tour guide for 5 rides, up to 4 different level cycling groups
- Safe storage room for bikes (in case you bring your own)
- Replacement bike in case of a breakdown
- Special services for none biker / accompanying person
- One cooking lesson on how to make pasta
- Transfer to the barbecue
- Nordic walking sticks
What’s Not Included
- Road bike rental. Available are Scott CR1 Carbon €109 or Speedster alloy for €89 (7 days)
- Look, Shimano SPD, Shimano SPD-SL or normal pedals provided. We recommend bringing your own pedals and cycling shoes.
- Preferred arrivals are on Saturday or Sunday. Arrivals during summer months available by request.
This Italy bike tour is considered moderate to difficult, choose to ride for your level of fitness (see Day-to-Day).
You can choose from various levels of difficulty and miles to bike each day. There are usually 3 or 4 groups of different levels departing each day. Below are some examplesof between 30 and 90 miles each day. Every day except on Wednesdays and Saturdays you can go out with a guide who accompanies the different groups. Every evening the route of the next day will be discussed.
1. The "Villages and Castles" group: Routes cover between 25 and 37 miles. (60 to 70 km) a day, average speed 11/12 miles per hour (17/19 km/h), for those who haven’t done a lot of training. Great for those who love traditions and everything that is typical of Romagna such as the castles, the history and the the tastes. Highlights include:
• 1 picnic in Vecciano, with piadina and grilled
meat, vegetables and tasting of balsamic vinegar
• 1 tasting of wine, olive oil, cheeses and typical local
• Visits to a farm, castles, fortified villages, mediaeval
piazzas, caves and ancient works
In this group, it is also possible to use hybrid bikes or mountain bikes and continues during the summer with the “Bike&Family” program.
For the groups below, there are exciting new itineraries, 10 unexplored roads, breathtaking landscapes and unspoilt nature, rolling hills and challenging climbs on traffic free roads
2. The “Cappuccino” group rides between 50 and 65 miles per day with an average of 12 to 14 miles an hour. This is for cyclists who not only love to cycle but also to enjoy nature and landscapes. Recommended for fairly well trained cyclists.
3. The “Super Cappuccino” group rides on average a mile faster and 20 miles further. Designed for the more competitive minded cyclist. Highlights include "The last 4 hills of the 9 hills race."
4. The “Limoncino” group is for very well-trained riders who desire a constant challenge and are accustomed to high mileage. Average speed about 15 to 17 miles per hour and up to 90 miles for the day. Highlights include "The last 5 hills of the 9 hills race."
You must not feel obligated to go with a group because you can also cycle on your own with route descriptions, although you will miss out on the advantage of the guides who know the area so well. You will cycle from the coast to the green countryside inland. The summits are about 2400 feet and the climbs vary from 1 to 6 miles in length.
For those who love a challenge:
MONTE FUMAIOLO; 112 miles
THURSDAY SPECIAL on May 26 and September 22, 2011
For the highly trained cyclists, there is the offering of even more fascinating and demanding excursions. This year’s itinerary is splendid and crosses the regions of the Marche and Romagna, with some extremely challenging climbs.