Bordeaux - Châteaux, Rivers & Wine
France Bike + Barge Tours
A bike and boat tour in the Bordeaux region.
The region of Bordeaux, located in sun-drenched, south-west France is the perfect setting for a bike and boat tour. Set at the confluence of the Garonne River and the Gironde estuary, it is one of the most prolific and famous wine growing regions in the world. Caressed by Atlantic breezes, the vineyards that cover the rolling hills of the region have for centuries produced France’s most remarkable wines. Appellations such as Saint-Émilion, Pomerol, Sauternes, Médoc and Margaux have made Bordeaux wines world famous.
At the region’s heart, is the cultural center, the city of Bordeaux. Once known as the Sleeping Beauty, it stretches along the riverbanks, inviting visitors to savor its grand architecture, tempting cafés, and superb museums. This city sleeps no more! Cruise the French Rivers and bike through vineyards on carefully chosen routes and experience the French Joie de Vivre!
On board you will discover a wide variety of excellent local wines to enjoy during dinner or simply to sample at your leisure. The region's distinct cuisine will featured, prepared with the freshest ingredients.
- Cycle through the world famous Bordeaux wine area
- Historic and cultural Unesco World Heritage Sites
- Sampling of different varieties of Bordeaux Wine
- Architectural gems
Watch a tour preview!
Be sure to view a complete list of bike and barge tours in France.
Twin Cabin, Lower Deck £ 990 $ 2,026 € 1135 NOK 10972 kr 10128 $ 1,317 £ 1216 $ 2,488 € 1394 NOK 13475 kr 12439 $ 1,617 £ 1303 $ 2,666 € 1494 NOK 14442 kr 13331 $ 1,733 Twin Cabin, Upper Deck £ 1147 $ 2,347 € 1315 NOK 12712 kr 11734 $ 1,525 £ 1373 $ 2,809 € 1574 NOK 15215 kr 14045 $ 1,826 £ 1460 $ 2,987 € 1674 NOK 16182 kr 14937 $ 1,942 Junior Suite, Lower Deck £ 1252 $ 2,561 € 1435 NOK 13872 kr 12805 $ 1,665 £ 1477 $ 3,023 € 1694 NOK 16375 kr 15116 $ 1,965 £ 1565 $ 3,202 € 1794 NOK 17342 kr 16008 $ 2,081 Single Cabin, Upper Deck £ 1339 $ 2,739 € 1535 NOK 14838 kr 13697 $ 1,781 £ 1565 $ 3,202 € 1794 NOK 17342 kr 16008 $ 2,081 £ 1652 $ 3,380 € 1894 NOK 18309 kr 16900 $ 2,197
Single Use Twin, Lower Deck
*limited to 3 per departure
£ 1382 $ 2,829 € 1585 NOK 15322 kr 14143 $ 1,839 £ 1608 $ 3,291 € 1844 NOK 17825 kr 16454 $ 2,139 £ 1696 $ 3,469 € 1944 NOK 18792 kr 17346 $ 2,255
Low Season: March 30, April 6, April 13, April 20, April 27, October 26, November 2
Mid Season: May 4-August 24; October 5, 12, 19
High Season: August 31, September 7, September 14, September 21, September 28
Guided Option: £ 131 $ 268 € 150 NOK 1450 kr 1338 $ 174 E-Bike: £ 78 $ 161 € 90 NOK 870 kr 803 $ 104 Discount for no transfers: £ 44 $ 89 € 50 NOK 483 kr 446 $ 58 Bicycle Protection
Hybrid Bike: £ 9 $ 18 € 10 NOK 97 kr 89 $ 12 E-Bike: £ 17 $ 36 € 20 NOK 193 kr 178 $ 23 Special Diet Request (GF, Dairy free), payable on board: £ 44 $ 89 € 50 NOK 483 kr 446 $ 58
Our tour prices do not include travel insurance. We strongly recommend purchasing comprehensive travel insurance which includes trip cancellation/interruption coverage. You can find more information on our Trip Insurance Page.
Cancellation Policy for Bordeaux Châteaux, Rivers & Wine Tour:
- More than 180 days before the departure date: 20% of the total booking
- Between 179 and 75 days before departure date: 35% of total booking amount
- Between 74 and 30 days before departure date: 75% of total booking amount
- At 29 days or less before departure: 100% of the amount total reservation
Rates are per person based on double occupancy.
† Currency exchange rate set 90 days before travel.
Fly to Paris Charles De Gaulle International Airport or Bordeaux International Airport. Make sure your passport is valid for at least 3 months beyond your departure or you will not be allowed to board your flight!
From Paris, you can either take a TGV train or fly to Bordeaux: TRAIN: There is now a high-speed TGV train with direct route from Paris to Bordeaux and vice versa that runs several times each day. From Paris center (Gare Montparnasse), TGV train is about 2 hours. From CDG airport in Paris to Bordeaux, TGV train is about 3.5 hours. Book tickets in advance, they can sell out. Schedules and pricing can be found on the TGV/SNCF website: https://en.oui.sncf/en/
FLY: Flights into Bordeaux offered by several airlines including low cost Easyjet. If you fly to Bordeaux International Airport, the city is easily accessible via shuttle or bus. The airport shuttle will take you to Gare St Jean train station in 30 minutes for around €7.
BUS TRANSFERS: Included in the tour package is a collective round-trip bus transfer to/from the Gare St Jean train station in Bordeaux and the barge. On arrival day, the transfer leaves the train station at 2pm and takes you to the barge. On the last day, the return transfer leaves the barge at 9am and arrives back at Gare St Jean train station around 10am. If you do not need the transfers, please let us know at the time of booking and there will be a credit of €50. Please note these transfers are highly recommended, especially to/from Castets which is remote and difficult to get to. Price for a taxi from Bordeaux to Castets will cost about €100.
Please check local conditions before your arrival. A good web site to use to research regional weather conditions is weatherbase.com. Here you will find average high/low temperatures and average rainfall as well.
In France, it is not mandatory for adults to wear a helmet, however, we strongly recommend bringing you wear one provided on board or bring your own helmet for proper fit and safety. French law now mandates that children under the age of 12 must wear a helmet. Children helmets are NOT available on board, you must bring your own.
Castets-en-Dorthe to Libourne
Low Season: March 30, April 13, April 27, October 26, 2019
Mid Season: May 11, May 25, June 8, June 22, July 6, July 20, August 3, August 17, October 12, 2019
High Season: August 31 and September 28, 2019
Libourne to Castets-en-Dorthe
Low Season: April 6, April 20, November 2, 2019
Mid Season: May 4, May 18, June 1, June 15, June 29, July 13, July 27, August 10, August 24, October 5, October 19, 2019
High Season: September 7, September 21, 2019
This tour is rated easy to moderate with daily cycling distances from 30 to 50 km (18-32 miles). The terrain varies day to day. At times, the route is flat along the river and through the vineyards but there are days with a few long gradual hills as well as some steeper short climbs out of the river valleys. Many cyclists have found an e-bike to be a good option on this tour. The tour is offered self-guided in that the tour leader provides daily briefings of the tour and participants cycle individually at their own pace with bicycle maps and route directions. A guided option is also available for an additional supplement, see pricing. The tour leader will be cycling all tours as well and can be reached on her/his mobile phone in case of questions or problems.
Where You’ll Stay
On board the comfort plus vessel, the Bordeaux.
- Accommodations on board for 7 nights
- 7 x Breakfasts, 6 x Self-packed Lunches, 7 x Three-Course Dinners
- Round-Trip Bus Transfers from Bordeaux train station to docking location and reverse on arrival/departure days
- 21-gear hybrid bike rental including panniers and map holder
- Helmets for adults (must bring own child helmets)
- Maps and tour information, one set per cabin
- Tour Leader that gives daily route briefings on board and is available by cell phone in case of emergency
- Harbor and lock fees
- Coffee and tea on board from 3-5:30
- Daily cabin cleaning (change of towels on request)
- Welcome drink and presentation
- GPS tracks available on request for pre-download to your own device
- Included in the Guided Option
- English-speaking tour guide who leads the bike ride, shares local history and culture
- 1 wine tasting at a wine shop in Saint-Emilion (free)
- 2-3 chateaux visits (free-€15)
What’s Not Included
- Guided Tour Option: €150 per person (advance reservation required)
- GPS Device with downloaded tracks: €100 deposit that is returned to you at the end of the tour - reserve in advance
- Beverages: The boat will have a large selection of wine from the various regions available for purchase by the glass or by the bottle. If you purchase wine off the boat and wish to drink it on board, there is a corkage fee of €10. Wine is allowed in the lounge, restaurant, and on deck. Wine is NOT allowed in cabins.
- Child Helmets: French law now mandates that children under the age of 12 must wear helmets!
- Entrance fees, excursions, wine tastings
- Bicycle Protection
- Travel Insurance
Castets-en-Dorthe to Libourne
Day 1 (Saturday): Arrival Day in Castets-en-Dorthe: Bus transfer @2 pm from Bordeaux train station to barge in Castets. Boarding at 3 pm.
Day 2 (Sunday): Castets - Saint Macaire - La Réole round-trip by bike, 19-32 mi. (30-50 km) | Castets - Cadillac by boat
Day 3 (Monday): Loupiac - Entre-Deux-Mers/Graves - Sauternes - Cadillac round-trip by bike, 32 mi. (50 km) | Cadillac - Bordeaux by boat
Day 4 (Tuesday): Heart of Bordeaux by bike, 10 mi. (15 km)
Day 5 (Wednesday): Bordeaux to Lamarque by boat | Lamarque - Margaux (Medoc) round-trip by bike, 28 mi. (45 km) | Lamarque to Bourg by boat
Day 6 (Thursday): Bourg - Blaye round-trip by bike, 23 mi. (37 km) | Bourg - Libourne by boat
Day 7 (Friday): Libourne - Saint Émilion & Pomerol round-trip by bike, 16-28 miles (25-45 km)
Day 8 (Saturday): Disembarkation in Libourne and transfer back to Bordeaux leaves barge @ 9am, arrives at train station around 10am.
To see detailed itineraries for both Castets-en-Dorthe to Libourne and Libourne to Castets-en-Dorthe. Click below.