Bordeaux - Châteaux, Rivers & Wine
France Bike + Barge Tours
A bike and boat tour in France in the famed Bordeaux region
The region of Bordeaux, located in sun-drenched, south-west France is the perfect setting for a bike and boat tour. Set at the confluence of the Garonne River and the Gironde estuary, it is one of the most prolific and famous wine growing regions in the world. Caressed by Atlantic breezes, the vineyards that cover the rolling hills of the region have for centuries produced France’s most remarkable wines. Appellations such as Saint-Émilion, Pomerol, Sauternes, Médoc, and Margaux have made Bordeaux wines world famous.
At the region’s heart, is the cultural center, the city of Bordeaux. Once known as the Sleeping Beauty, it stretches along the riverbanks, inviting visitors to savor its grand architecture, tempting cafés, and superb museums. This city sleeps no more! Cruise the French Rivers and bike through vineyards on carefully chosen routes and experience the French Joie de Vivre!
On board, you will discover a wide variety of excellent local wines to enjoy during dinner or simply to sample at your leisure. The region's distinct cuisine will feature, prepared with the freshest ingredients.
- Cycle through the world famous Bordeaux wine area
- Historic and cultural Unesco World Heritage Sites
- Sampling of different varieties of Bordeaux Wine
- Architectural gems
Watch a tour preview!
Be sure to view a complete list of bike and barge tours in France.
Guided Option: £ 127 $ 283 € 150 $ 226 NOK 1413 kr 1304 $ 170 E-Bike: £ 76 $ 170 € 90 $ 136 NOK 848 kr 782 $ 102 Discount for no transfers: £ 42 $ 94 € 50 $ 75 NOK 471 kr 435 $ 57 Bicycle Protection
Hybrid Bike: £ 8 $ 19 € 10 $ 15 NOK 94 kr 87 $ 11 E-Bike: £ 17 $ 38 € 20 $ 30 NOK 188 kr 174 $ 23 Special Diet Request (Gluten Free, Dairy Free): £ 42 $ 94 € 50 $ 75 NOK 471 kr 435 $ 57
Guided Option: £ 127 $ 283 € 150 $ 226 NOK 1413 kr 1304 $ 170 E-Bike Rental for week: £ 76 $ 170 € 90 $ 136 NOK 848 kr 782 $ 102 Tandem Bike Rental for week per person: £ 8 $ 19 € 10 $ 15 NOK 94 kr 87 $ 11 Discount for no transfers: £ 42 $ 94 € 50 $ 75 NOK 471 kr 435 $ 57 Bicycle Protection
Hybrid Bike Protection: £ 8 $ 19 € 10 $ 15 NOK 94 kr 87 $ 11 E-Bike Protection: £ 17 $ 38 € 20 $ 30 NOK 188 kr 174 $ 23 Special Diet Request (Gluten Free, Dairy Free): £ 42 $ 94 € 50 $ 75 NOK 471 kr 435 $ 57
Our tour prices do not include travel insurance. We strongly recommend purchasing comprehensive travel insurance which includes trip cancellation/interruption coverage. You can find more information on our Trip Insurance Page.
Cancellation Policy for Bordeaux Châteaux, Rivers & Wine Tour:
- More than 180 days before the departure date: 20% of the total booking
- Between 179 and 75 days before departure date: 35% of total booking amount
- Between 74 and 30 days before departure date: 75% of total booking amount
- At 29 days or less before departure: 100% of the amount total reservation
Rates are per person based on double occupancy.
† Currency exchange rate set 90 days before travel.
Fly to Paris Charles De Gaulle International Airport or Bordeaux International Airport.
From Paris, you can take the TGV train.
TRAIN: There is now a high-speed TGV train with direct route from Paris to Bordeaux and vice versa that runs several times each day. From Paris center (Gare Montparnasse), TGV train is about 2 hours. From CDG airport in Paris to Bordeaux, TGV train is about 3.5 hours. Book tickets in advance, they can sell out. Schedules and pricing can be found on the TGV/SNCF website: https://en.oui.sncf/en/
FLY: Flights into Bordeaux are offered by several airlines including low cost Easyjet. If you fly to Bordeaux International Airport, the city is easily accessible via shuttle or bus. The airport shuttle will take you to Gare St Jean train station in 30 minutes for around €7.
BUS TRANSFERS: Included in the tour package is a collective round-trip bus transfer to/from the Gare St Jean train station in Bordeaux and the barge. On arrival day, the transfer leaves the train station at 2 pm and takes you to the barge. On the last day, the return transfer leaves the barge at 9 am and arrives back at Gare St Jean train station around 10 am. If you do not need the transfers, please let us know at the time of booking and there will be a credit of €50. Please note these transfers are highly recommended, especially to/from Castets which is remote and difficult to get to. Price for a taxi from Bordeaux to Castets will cost about €100.
Please check local conditions before your arrival. A good web site to use to research regional weather conditions is weatherbase.com. Here you will find average high/low temperatures and average rainfall as well.
In France, it is not mandatory for adults to wear a helmet, however, we strongly recommend wearing one of those provided on board or bring your own helmet for proper fit and safety. French law now mandates that children under the age of 12 must wear a helmet. Children helmets are NOT available on board, you must bring your own.
Before you travel, please check your country's passport and visa requirements and the passport and visa requirements of the country/countries you plan to visit. For US citizens, the US Department of State website is a good source of information. The Country Information tab in the International Travel section provides details about passport validity, blank passport pages required, etc. For our other international clients, please be sure that you research your own country's travel requirements. It is each traveler's responsibility to ensure proper documentation.
*Important note: Beginning July 1, 2021, additional documentation from the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) will be required to visit any of the 26 Schengen-member countries for tourism, business, medical, or transit. This is an additional check on security rather than a visa.
This tour is rated easy to moderate with daily cycling distances from 30 to 50 km (18-32 miles). The terrain varies day to day. At times, the route is flat along the river and through the vineyards but there are days with a few long gradual hills as well as some steeper short climbs out of the river valleys. Many cyclists have found an e-bike to be a good option on this tour. The tour is offered self-guided in that the tour leader provides daily briefings of the tour and participants cycle individually at their own pace with bicycle maps and route directions. A guided option is also available for an additional supplement, see pricing. The tour leader will be cycling all tours as well and can be reached on her/his mobile phone in case of questions or problems.
Where You’ll Stay
On board the comfort vessel, the Bordeaux.
- Accommodations on board for 7 nights
- 7 x Breakfasts, 6 x Self-packed Lunches, 7 x Three-Course Dinners
- Round-Trip Bus Transfers from Bordeaux train station to docking location and reverse on arrival/departure days
- 21-gear hybrid bike rental including panniers and map holder
- Helmets for adults (must bring own child helmets)
- Maps and tour information, one set per cabin
- Tour Leader that gives daily route briefings on board and is available by cell phone in case of emergency
- Harbor and lock fees
- Coffee and tea on board from 3-5:30
- Daily cabin cleaning (change of towels on request)
- Welcome drink and presentation
- GPS tracks available on request for pre-download to your own device
- Included in the Guided Option
- English-speaking tour guide who leads the bike ride, shares local history and culture
- 1 wine tasting at a wine shop in Saint-Emilion (free)
- 2-3 chateaux visits (free-€15)
What’s Not Included
- Guided Tour Option: €150 per person (advance reservation required)
- GPS Device with downloaded tracks: €100 deposit that is returned to you at the end of the tour - reserve in advance
- Beverages: The boat will have a large selection of wine from the various regions available for purchase by the glass or by the bottle. If you purchase wine off the boat and wish to drink it on board, there is a corkage fee of €10. Wine is allowed in the lounge, restaurant, and on deck. Wine is NOT allowed in cabins.
- Child Helmets: French law now mandates that children under the age of 12 must wear helmets!
- Entrance fees, excursions, wine tastings
- Bicycle Protection
- Travel Insurance
Castets-en-Dorthe to Libourne
Day 1 (Saturday): Arrival Day in Castets-en-Dorthe: Bus transfer @2 pm from Bordeaux train station to barge in Castets. Boarding at 3 pm.
Day 2 (Sunday): Castets - Saint Macaire - La Réole round-trip by bike, 19-32 mi. (30-50 km) | Castets - Cadillac by boat
Day 3 (Monday): Loupiac - Entre-Deux-Mers/Graves - Sauternes - Cadillac round-trip by bike, 32 mi. (50 km) | Cadillac - Bordeaux by boat
Day 4 (Tuesday): Heart of Bordeaux by bike, 10 mi. (15 km)
Day 5 (Wednesday): Bordeaux to Lamarque by boat | Lamarque - Margaux (Medoc) round-trip by bike, 28 mi. (45 km) | Lamarque to Bourg by boat
Day 6 (Thursday): Bourg - Blaye round-trip by bike, 23 mi. (37 km) | Bourg - Libourne by boat
Day 7 (Friday): Libourne - Saint Émilion & Pomerol round-trip by bike, 16-28 miles (25-45 km)
Day 8 (Saturday): Disembarkation in Libourne and transfer back to Bordeaux leaves barge @ 9 am, arrives at the train station around 10 am.
To see detailed itineraries for both Castets-en-Dorthe to Libourne and Libourne to Castets-en-Dorthe. Click below.