Family Friendly Holland
Netherlands Bike Tours
A bike tour in Holland for young and old!
Finally, a bike tour in Holland that is perfect for the whole family! Combining quiet low-distance rides with cultural highlights for the adults with entertaining stops at amusement parks and zoos for the kids. The accommodations also provide family or connected rooms.
Set in the middle of Holland, you will see lots of farmland, water, and forest areas. Some of the highlights are:
- The historic town of Amersfoort and Harderwijk
- The monkey garden in Apeldoorn, the Dolphin Zoo in Harderwijk and the Zoo in Arnhem
- The National Park Hoge Veluwe with the famous Kröller Müller museum and the interesting Museonder museum for the children
- The open air (Openlucht) museum in Arnhem with all highlights of Holland in one place
- The Royal palace ‘het Loo’ in Apeldoorn as the ‘Julianatoren’ amusement park in Apeldoorn
- The city of Arnhem famous for its role in WWII with interesting war museums
With so much to see and do, you'll never want to leave!
Want to see more bicycle tours in the Netherlands?
Where You’ll Stay
In excellent 3 star to 4 star hotels
- Hotel accommodations for 4 nights
- Breakfast buffets
- Luggage transportation
- Welcome meeting
- 7-speed hybrid bicycle including waterproof handlebar bag and breakdown assistance
- 3-speed children bicycles, Tag-along trailers, or child trailers
- Equipment insurance
- Door to door route descriptions on GPS device and maps
- Additional tourist information
What’s Not Included
- Lunches and dinners
- Train tickets from Amsterdam to Amersfoort and from Arnhem to Amsterdam
- Entrance fees to National Park and all highlights
- Amersfoort - Harderwijk 22 to 28 miles (35 to 45 km)
- Harderwijk – Apeldoorn 22 to 26 miles (35 to 41 km)
- Apeldoorn – Otterlo 22 to 26 miles (35 to 41 km)
- Otterlo – Arnhem 20 miles (32 km)
- Rest day of your choosing: Stay in either Harderwijk, Apeldoorn, Otterlo or Arnhem (Please specify at time of booking!)
Amersfoort - Harderwijk, 22 to 28 mi. (35 to 45 km)
In the morning, you will get a thorough explanation of the tour including a demonstration of the pre-programmed GPS for a relaxed and stress free tour. You will begin biking through the historic town of Amersfoort and enjoy the beautiful buildings and scenery. Then it is straight on to Harderwijk by the lovely town of Nijkerk, or make a loop to the north, first passing the traditional fishing village of Spakenburg. Both options will bring you along lake IJsselmeer where you can take a quick dip if weather permits. This lake is very shallow so children can swim without fear. Your destination is the old town of Harderwijk with the very impressive Dolphin Zoo.
Harderwijk - Apeldoorn, 22 to 26 mi. (35 to 41 km)
Today’s ride will be through the Veluwe forest area along quiet bike lanes for safe pedaling. Along your route, enjoy the small villages with pancake restaurants. Pass the Royal Palace ‘het Loo’, a state museum with magnificent gardens. You can also visit the amusement park ‘Juliana Toren’ and the Monkey Garden before arriving at your hotel for the night. This hotel in Apeldoorn has a lovely indoor pool.
Apeldoorn - Otterlo, 22 to 26 mi. (35 to 41 km)
The morning starts with a small climb out of Apeldoorn; its not a tough job but by Dutch standards it is considered a "hill". Soon you will enjoy the beautiful scenery of heather fields before arriving at the monument of Radio Kootwijk. The day's destination is the quaint village of Otterlo after stopping by the National Park ‘Hoge Veluwe’ (entrance fee required), the ‘Museonder’ museum, or bike directly to Otterlo.
Otterlo – Arnhem, 20 miles (32 km)
Today is a great ride through the National Park ‘Hoge Veluwe'. The park is around 55 square kilometers consisting of heatherlands, sand dunes, and woodlands. This car-free area is a bicycle paradise with the impressive Kröller Müller museum, home of a huge van Gogh collection and sculpture garden (not open on Mondays).
Exiting from the south of the Park, you will pass the Dutch open air museum with antique houses, farms, and factories from different parts of the Netherlands. Next to this museum, you will find the Burgers Zoo. Leaving the forest areas riding downhill to the Rhine valley, you will reach Arnhem and the final destination of the tour. In Arnhem, the equipment will be picked up by a local representative.
Rest day in Harderwijk, Apeldoorn, Otterlo or Arnhem
Enjoy a free day in one of these towns during your tour. Visit one of the highlights nearby and take your time to enjoy the scenery. Please let us know which town you prefer to stay in when you book!