Mainz to Strasbourg Tour Reviews — 1 to 5 of 5
Easy Bike + Boat Tour in Germany, France
To bike along a river is sheer bliss. To actually be on the river is more! This bike and boat tour in Germany and France combines cycling perfection on riverside cycle paths and unique accommodations…
8 months ago
The boat was wonderful as was the staff. Food too was excellent. There were two central problems with the trip. The first is the route. We had anticipated that the trip down the Rhine would be in beautiful sections building t instead we spent a week in heavily industrial areas where there was little along the river that was beautiful at all.
The second problem was that it appeared that no one from the company had checked out the route of the biking since it was first established since roads had closed and there were continuous diversions. As a consequence we (and when I say we i mean many of the bikers) were lost within 15 minutes of departing every day. While the trip was billed as "self guiding" clear and accurate maps are needed
Tripsite • 8 months ago Tripsite Staff
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us.
We're so sorry your experience was less than stellar. The Rhine river is quite beautiful but there are certainly some sections that are more scenic than others. It seems this route needs some heavy updating, especially considering all the closures you have mentioned. Getting lost is no fun, and again I offer our apologies for the lack of proper direction. We will be making changes for the coming departures to ensure this route is as beautiful and scenic as our travelers expect.
4 years ago
What a great way to see so much of Germany! We cycled almost 200 km along the Rhine and enjoyed every minute! Then when we went back to the boat, we enjoyed a top quality three-course meal! Overall it was a fabulous bike trip and riverboat tour on the Rhine. The bikes were top quality, and the nice part biking was our ability to stop off at the different biergartens along the way of our own choosing; We loved seeing the swans on the Rhine (even a black swan!) and also enjoyed visiting historic churches, and seeing wondrous half-timber cottages including one house with a pair of storks nesting on the chimney! I will definitely be booking another bike riverboat tour!
4 years ago
We really liked the MS Arkona, the staff and our F&B head mgr. Routes were Ok, but need better route descriptions esp for English speakers. Electric bikes were excellent! Def the better way to really enjoy the ride!
5 years ago
Much of the bike ride was difficult to navigate. Signs on the road are not always clear. Expected more country rides but much of the bike ride was through cities with many vehicles (somewhat dangerous). If we elect to travel with Tripsite again, we will do more research to determine ease of navigation along the bike route and how much of the route is through traffic.
Peter and Denise Marzo
5 years ago
1. The boat was outstanding (5 star)
2. All the meals were nothing short of scrumptous (all three..every day) (5 Star)
3. The SE staff were knowledgable, polite and always willing to help. (5 Star)
4. Embarking and disembarking was seamless. (5 Star)
5. Our onboard guide was outgoing and fun to talk to. (5 Star)
6. The rooms were tight, but manageable. two single beds, good storage for your clothes and a small but efficient washroom.
7. The bikes were well serviced and enjoyable to ride. If you're not a seasoned cyclist, don't worry, the gears were easy to change and many of the people opted for the ebike option which really helped.
8. Biking directions were a challenge. At first we thought it was a language issue, but many of the German people were getting lost as well. We saw Read More no vineyards, one castle, and we traveled through many cities. We had three in our group take spills, mainly because of the city routes we had to take. The "Look for Signs" were often non-existant or hard to find and we found that our group of 10 cyclists were spending too much time conferencing, trying to find the correct route.
Twice we encountered local people who actual lead us to get us back on track. This was definitely challenging, but boy did we bond!! We stopped in small towns having lunch in the town squares, trying local beers and cheeses. Restaurants willing to let us eat our bagged lunches in their restaurant when we bought some drinks.
1. Arrive a couple of days early to explore Mainz, it's a beatiful city.
2. We flew in and out of Paris and the train system is amazing, but I would suggest closer Airports (Frankfurt to get to Mainz and Paris for Strasbourg).
3. Get comfortable being lost and embrace the journey. We always found our way and have some incredible stories about our rides.
4. Talk to the locals they are magnificent and were always willing to help.
The bottom line is that we are already planning our next bike and barge adventure, there are lots to choose.
My actual rating would be a 4.5 out of 5